Howdy, Folks

New member introductions.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Board Policies forum, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.

Howdy, Folks

Postby BE500Guy » Mon May 31, 2010 7:05 pm

I see another member used this sub-forum to do an intro of sorts, so I'll follow in those footbytes.

Also came across this through the phpBB Community and am pleasantly surprised because I own a small handheld unit for just doing notes on, although it could do much more.

Might be easy to guess from my User ID what I've got, but you may also need to be a bit up in the years as my unit is really, really old. It's a Cassiopeia BE-500, Japanese OS. Amazing story behind this little machine and something Casio did to basically bring it back to life and for so very little money. Unfortunately, I really must run and will have to get back to the story at a later time, if anyone is interested.

Anyway, howdy to all.

It's better to have tried and failed, than to not have tried at all. As long as you didn't lose your head over it.
BE500Guy

Re: Howdy, Folks

Postby mpg187 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:02 pm

BE500Guy wrote:.
I see another member used this sub-forum to do an intro of sorts, so I'll follow in those footbytes.
lol you referring to this?

Good to see another member here. So we have 3 active members and it won't just be me and the admin...
Proud HTC Touch Owner (Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional)
http://operation420.net
mpg187
Admin Wannabe

Postby SV Pocket PC » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:39 am

BE500Guy wrote:I see another member used this sub-forum to do an intro of sorts, so I'll follow in those footbytes.

Also came across this through the phpBB Community and am pleasantly surprised because I own a small handheld unit for just doing notes on, although it could do much more.

Might be easy to guess from my User ID what I've got, but you may also need to be a bit up in the years as my unit is really, really old. It's a Cassiopeia BE-500, Japanese OS. Amazing story behind this little machine and something Casio did to basically bring it back to life and for so very little money. Unfortunately, I really must run and will have to get back to the story at a later time, if anyone is interested.

Anyway, howdy to all.

Welcome aboard. Yes, the BE500 is old, but as long as it does what you want, who cares? Plenty of people keep old cars running or collect antiques of other sorts, so it's all good. :)

And please feel free to post your story here.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC
http://www.svpocketpc.com
SV Pocket PC
Site Admin

Postby BE500Guy » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:02 pm

It may seem strange to do this, but I just wanted to post that I haven't forgotten about this thread and I will definitely get to putting up the details of how Casio did me a fine turn with my BE500, even if it was they had little choice.

I am posting that I haven't forgotten because it seems very impolite to state that I would post the story and then seem to disappear. It's just that I'm over my head with Net work and brick-and-mortar work and finding time has been really tough. Especially as the story has got to be too long and I've got to put it on a WordPad doc first so I can think it through. It's been a couple of years since it happened.

So as that fella said way-back-when down in the Philippines, "I shall return."

It's better to have tried and failed, than to not have tried at all. As long as you didn't lose your head over it.
BE500Guy

Postby BE500Guy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:47 pm

I see I haven't done what I stated I would do. I haven't posted the story of what happened at Casio.

Thinking back, without looking at notes of activities during that period of time, I suspect I got very busy and then that March 11th disaster in 2011 sort of messed up a lot of things. On the other hand, I was a lucky one to be far enough away from the epicenters of the first few bad shakes and not near the coast.

Still, one doesn't go through something like that without paying a price. The first six months or so of aftershocks was one price. One tends to get kind of jumpy in that sort of situation.

Fukushima Daiichi is a situation that we'll be paying for here for a long time. Just have to continue to hope others on the planet don't end up paying for that bit of man-made dumbness. And it was dumb not building a better defense against Mother Nature. There had been very large tsunamis before that plant was built and the idea that Mother Nature wouldn't visit that sort of thing upon that part of the coastline again was just plain dumb. And, yes, some think it was criminal. But I'll just stick to calling it dumb. Really, really dumb.

And then, of course, there's the shaking. Yep, it was frequent the first year and gradually started to decrease in frequency into 2012 and subsequent years, but we still have them a whole lot more often than we used to before 3/11.

And there is this sense that we just haven't seen the end of the shaking in its more significant form because of 3/11. There's a whole new style to the shaking from the Kanto Plain north. Seems sort of amazing now, but in most cases I can actually tell about where an epicenter is just by the feel of the shake.

The one we had a bit back in November or so in Nagano I knew right away from the feel of it that it was bad someplace and not of the usual variety. I'm still amazed that one didn't get more people hurt. That one really was quite something.

Oh well, this excuse for not posting the Casio story yet has gotten too long, hasn't it?

Sorry about that.

EDIT: Good gosh. Was poking around and then noticed on the index page I'm still the new guy here. On the one hand that's kind of neat. On the other, I think I'll invite somebody new to get me off the that stool, if Steve doesn't mind.
BE500Guy

Postby hocus pocus » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:25 pm

Seems we are the newbies on the block around here. Perhaps there are other co-workers interested in knowing about this site, besides me.
hocus pocus

Postby SV Pocket PC » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:52 pm

BE500Guy wrote:I see I haven't done what I stated I would do. I haven't posted the story of what happened at Casio.

Thinking back, without looking at notes of activities during that period of time, I suspect I got very busy and then that March 11th disaster in 2011 sort of messed up a lot of things. On the other hand, I was a lucky one to be far enough away from the epicenters of the first few bad shakes and not near the coast.

Hey, I live in Hollister, CA (the so-called "earthquake capital" of the U.S.) and was at work in south San Jose during Loma Prieta in 1989.

But we only lost a couple of bridge decks, not a nuclear power plant, so I guess that's not so bad. :D

BE500Guy wrote:Good gosh. Was poking around and then noticed on the index page I'm still the new guy here. On the one hand that's kind of neat. On the other, I think I'll invite somebody new to get me off the that stool, if Steve doesn't mind.

I don't mind. The place has been really dead (except for some spammers) since the "death" of Windows Mobile. That's why you were still the newest member.

While I still use my Samsung Omnia as a PDA, I've pretty much moved on to Android. If I get a new PC that doesn't support Windows Mobile Device Center (I'm still using my Sony VIAO running Windows 7 Pro), that will likely be the end of my Windows Mobile use.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC
SV Pocket PC
Site Admin

Postby SV Pocket PC » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:55 pm

hocus pocus wrote:Seems we are the newbies on the block around here. Perhaps there are other co-workers interested in knowing about this site, besides me.

Welcome, but if you bring new people here, don't set their expectations too high. As mentioned above, the site hasn't been updated in a few years thanks to Microsoft abandoning Windows Mobile.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC
SV Pocket PC
Site Admin

Return to Introductions