"Windows CE2 for Dummies"

Get help with the Windows Mobile operating system or any Windows Mobile programs.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Board Policies forum, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.

"Windows CE2 for Dummies"

Postby BE500Guy » Mon May 31, 2010 10:37 pm

Picked up this book from a used bookstore last week. Written by Jinjer L. Simon back in 1997.

Only reason I bring it up is because I really don't know how much documentation is available on the Net for Windows CE and if anyone may wish to ask anything that I may be able to find in the book, I'll be happy to look it up.

Frankly, I don't spend much time tweaking my BE-500 or trying to find out what all it can do because I have it for one reason only -- to type notes that can then be transferred to one of my computers. I don't use the hand computer for anything else. Although there is a website just for the Cassiopeia and I saw that some owners do some amazing things with their units I'm just happy with an ability when I am out and about and have time to be able to put thoughts down in a digital format. Before I picked this up it was always pen and paper and then transcribing that to one of the computers.

Heck, I only just got one of those little portable phones at the end of last year and that was more at the behest of someone else and not because I really wanted one.

Anyway, my offer about the book stands.

It's better to have tried and failed, than to not have tried at all. As long as you didn't lose your head over it.
BE500Guy

Re: "Windows CE2 for Dummies"

Postby mpg187 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:03 pm

I wonder if the info there is really old or not. I figured out how to use my iPAQ and HTC without a book lol...

So you only have one Windows Mobile device and only use it for notes?
Proud HTC Touch Owner (Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional)
http://operation420.net
mpg187
Admin Wannabe

Postby BE500Guy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:17 pm

mpg187 wrote:So you only have one Windows Mobile device and only use it for notes?

True, but I've had some interest over the years in small computers. Problem is I like to do the research necessary to understand all the ins-and-outs of a field that's new to me and I just haven't had the time to do that in this field.

The Cassiopeia came into my possession when I found it in a recyle shop at a very good price. It was just about that time I had started some research and the first thing I was doing was checking the price ranges and so I knew the Cassiopeia I was looking at in that recyle shop was a very good deal. Plus at just that time I had a contract going at Samsung's research division, so I had access to some people that were at the cutting edge of technology related to "small" and when I brought that Cassiopeia into the office the first time it was quite the hit because it was old! Boy that was fun. And I was able to turn fun into a flood of information.

Then Casio stepped up to the plate and really did something amazing, which is an interesting story, but I've used up my time for this svpocketpc session (and this is kind of off-topic already), so I'll have to get back to that later. Plus I'm not sure where to post something on this forum that is basically a personal story/experience about a company, albeit a positive one, in this business. Advice on that question would be appreciated. Thank you.

It's better to have tried and failed, than to not have tried at all. As long as you didn't lose your head over it.
BE500Guy

Postby SV Pocket PC » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:28 am

BE500Guy wrote:Then Casio stepped up to the plate and really did something amazing, which is an interesting story, but I've used up my time for this svpocketpc session (and this is kind of off-topic already), so I'll have to get back to that later. Plus I'm not sure where to post something on this forum that is basically a personal story/experience about a company, albeit a positive one, in this business. Advice on that question would be appreciated.

Please feel free to post the story in this topic. If it fits better somewhere else, I can move it. ;)

UPDATE: As described below, I've created a new forum, so that is the correct place for the story. Just add it to your introductory post.

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC
http://www.svpocketpc.com
SV Pocket PC
Site Admin

Postby mpg187 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:49 am

Either here or this thread...
Proud HTC Touch Owner (Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional)
http://operation420.net
mpg187
Admin Wannabe

Postby SV Pocket PC » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:16 pm

mpg187 wrote:Either here or this thread...

I was going to say that this was the right place for it, but instead I've created a new Introductions forum. I've moved both of your introductory posts there, so the story should now be posted here.

Anyway, let's keep this topic about the book....

Steve
Silicon Valley Pocket PC
http://www.svpocketpc.com
SV Pocket PC
Site Admin

Return to Software