Connect HTC Touch Diamond to Windows 98?

Get help with the Windows Mobile operating system or any Windows Mobile programs.
Forum rules
Please make sure you've read the Board Policies forum, which spells out the rules and guidelines of this forum.

Connect HTC Touch Diamond to Windows 98?

Postby mpg187 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:07 am

I have a laptop that has Windows 98 that I haven't touched in a few years. I wanna be able to connect my phone and:

1. Access files on it
  2. Get online using my phone's 3G connection

I was thinking of putting XP on but then I realized that that's not an option because this computer only has 56 MB of RAM (It has a processor that's 600 MHz which is more than the Pentium I's I had, but they had more RAM). Can it be done in Windows 98?

I hear Windows ME was the first OS to have generic USB drivers (Like 2000, XP, Vista, and Windows 7 do) and I think this computer could support it because looking at the COA* on it and the "Designed for ME sticker" it appears it originally had ME on it anyways.

I have the ActiveSync installer on my phone, but can't access the internal storage.

Should I keep 98 or upgrade to ME? Is there a USB Driver for 98 and will Active Sync work (on computers running XP/Vista/7 I was able to use tethering after I installed Active Sync/WMDC, probably because that also installed the RNDIS driver as well). Will it work on ME?

* Funny this laptop has gotta be around 10 years old and the COA on it is in better condition than the one on my year old laptop, M$ must be getting cheap in making them...
Proud HTC Touch Owner (Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional)
http://operation420.net
mpg187
Admin Wannabe

Re: Connect HTC Touch Diamond to Windows 98?

Postby SV Pocket PC » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:32 am

If you believe the ActiveSync 4.5 system requirements, you'll need at least Windows 2000 or XP. I don't know whether it will work on anything older or not.

Getting the ActiveSync installer to your old laptop should be easy, though. Just E-mail or FTP it and download it on the old laptop or connect your phone to a newer PC, copy it to the newer PC and share files with the old PC.

Steve

P.S. I thought Windows 98 SE was when decent USB support was added, but I don't know if that included "generic" support.
Silicon Valley Pocket PC
http://www.svpocketpc.com
SV Pocket PC
Site Admin

Return to Software